Cannock Chase Memories
Cannock Chase has a long and proud history; home to Iron Age tribes, a Medieval hunting ground, the site of early industry, wild heathland and an important coalfield with its close-knit communities – all are part of the story of the Chase. But the Chase is now experiencing dramatic changes and much of the evidence of the past has already gone; only memories remain. This video sketches the early history of the Chase as well as bringing to mind much which is still familiar about its more recent past, including:
* Unique pictures of Hawks Green as it was half a century ago.
* The early years of the Chase coalfield.
* Cannock at the turn of the Century.
* The first miner’s homes on the Chase.
* Memories of when Hednesford was the shopping centre of the Chase.
* The building of Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Hednesford.
* Rare photographs of the communities of Cannock Chase in 1947.
* Schooldays at the Central School, Chadsmoor.
* The canals of Cannock Chase.
* The proud tradition of the Mines Rescue Service.
* The glory days of the Electric Palace.
* When rent was 8/6d a week.